Thursday 29 May 2014

The beginning and the end

Another song comparison :) Both songs rank among my favourites, and one is yet again from Plumb.

***
Don't Deserve You - Plumb
You're the first face that I see
And the last thing I think about
You're the reason that I'm alive
You're what I can't live without (x2)

You never give up
When I'm falling apart
Your arms are always open wide
You're quick to forgive
When I make a mistake
You love me in the blink of an eye

I don't deserve You now
But You give it to me anyway
Can't get enough
You're everything I need
And when I walk away
You take off running and come right after me
It's what You do
And I don't deserve You

You're the light inside my eyes
You give me reason to keep trying
You give me more than I could dream
And You bring me to my knees (x2)

Your heart is gold and how am I the one
That You've chosen to love
I still can't believe that You're right next to me
After all that I've done

I don't deserve a chance like this
I don't deserve a love that gives me everything
You're everything I want

(Listen here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMt2hw62374)

Not A Bad Thing - Justin Timberlake
Said all I want from you is to see you tomorrow
And every tomorrow, maybe you’ll let me borrow your heart
And is it too much to ask for every Sunday
And while we're at it, throw in every other day to start

Now how about I’d be the last voice you hear tonight?
And every other night for the rest of the nights that there are
Every morning I just wanna see you staring back at me
'Cause I know that’s a good place to start
***

I found it interesting how both speak about starting and ending each day with that significant 'Other'.

Psalm 63:1,6 O God, You are my God; early will I seek You; my soul thirsts for You; my flesh longs for You in a dry and thirsty land where there is no water...When I remember You on my bed, I meditate on You in the night watches.
Psalm 92:1-2 It is good to give thanks to the Lord, and to sing praises to Your name, O Most High; to declare Your lovingkindness in the morning, and Your faithfulness every night...

I guess that's a challenge - can I, can we, start and end every day with a heart of thankfulness, of gratitude, and of awe and wonder in contemplation of everything with which we have been blessed? In the midst of the despair and hopelessness that surrounds us, be it through the senseless school shootings in America, the ongoing civil conflict in Syria and South Sudan, the terrible tragedy of persecuted saints such as Meriam Ibrahim and the escalating violence and tension wrought by the Boko Harem, Al-Shabaab and so on, can we take a moment to meditate on God's glory and trust that He will ultimately make it all right? Being cynical and rational is all very well and fine, but where does it lead us? Absolutely nowhere. Hope in God, now that's a different story.

No comments:

Post a Comment