Sunday 19 January 2014

Mountains and valleys

Song of Solomon
When I feel the cold of winter
And this cloak of sadness
I need You
All the evil things that shake me
All the words that break me
I need You

Over the mountains
Over the seas
Here, You come running
My Lover, to me

Do not hide me from Your presence
Pull me from these shadows
I need You
Beauty, wrap Your arms around me
Sing Your song of kindness
I need You

Oh, through the valleys
Through the dark of night
Here, You come running
To hold me till it's light

- By Martin Smith from the album God's Great Dance Floor - Movement 3 -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMcJvUFEWhk

Song of Solomon 2:8,17 The voice of my beloved! Behold, he comes leaping upon the mountains, skipping upon the hills...Until the day breaks and the shadows flee away, turn, my beloved...

The pic was taken en route to Wenchi crater lake while we were at a missions conference two weeks ago in Ethiopia. The scenery there is unlike the rest of the East African countries I've had the privilege of visiting, namely, South Sudan (duh), Uganda, and Kenya. While the aforementioned countries tend to be dry, hot and dusty with savannah plains or scrubland as a rule, the areas we travelled through in Ethiopia had a remarkably different landscape, more akin to certain parts of Europe...most probably owing to its cooler climate and higher altitude (over 2,000m on average). Their history is rather interesting as well; apparently the only African nation not to fall under colonial rule (despite two attempts by Italy et al), it has also lived through two decades of communist governance. Its capital (Addis Ababa) has some of the best roads I've seen, hands down, courtesy of China's expansion into the local construction industry. At any rate, the conference was a tremendous blessing; I got to meet my fellow workers who were evacuated from the other regions for the first time (hopefully not the last!), listen to inspiring stories of great endeavours being carried out elsewhere, and best of all, worship God with like-minded brothers and sisters in Christ.

Psalms 133:1 Behold how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!

May it be so for the nation of South Sudan!

No comments:

Post a Comment